My friend’s puppy was electrocuted at home. What can I do to protect my pet?

Bear in mind that dogs are not discriminatory. They may gnaw electrical cabling, unaware of the potential danger. Your dog is then likely to be electrocuted as a result, if the current is switched on at the time. The first step is to ensure that all appliances not in use are switched off, with the plug and cabling positioned out of your pet’s reach.

sheepdog puppy and electrical cableIf you find the puppy with a cable in its mouth, always switch off and disconnect the appliance first, before trying to remove the flex from its mouth. Otherwise, you could both be electrocuted. Take particular care with appliances which have to be left permanently running, such as refrigerators or even aquarium equipment, ensuring that the cabling is out of your pet’s reach, or otherwise protected in ducting, rather than simply trailing down. If you do spot any damaged cabling, call an electrician so it can be replaced without delay. Most dogs will have lost interest in chewing cabling by the time they are about a year old.